St. Catherine's Monastery

Share:

St. Catherine's Monastery

At the foot of mountain peak or Mount Moses because it is usually proverbial you'll see St. Catherine's cloister. The cloister was made by the order of Emperor Justinian the Great between 527 and 565. it's thought to surround Moses' Burning Bush, that incorporates a chapel engineered atop it. The bush is there to the present day, whether or not it's initial or not, we are going to ne'er understand however it is often seen within the cloister.

The cloister may be a spectacular natural setting for invaluable works of art, together with Arab mosaics, Greek and Russian icons, Western images, paintings on wax, fine sacerdotal ornaments, marbles, enamels, chalices, reliquaries, together with one given by Czar czar within the nineteenth century, and another by Emperor Catherine of Russia within the seventeenth century.

Perhaps even bigger significance is that it's the second-largest assortment of well-lighted manuscripts (The Vatican has the largest). The cloister even incorporates a little tenth or eleventh-century masjid that was seemingly engineered to appease the Moslem authorities of the time. there's additionally tiny low chapel (the Chapel of St. Triphone, additionally called the os House) that homes the skulls of deceased monks.

St. Catherine's cloister incorporates a made history, it's a shining example of Associate in Nursing undiscovered Jewel of travel. it's been referred to as the oldest operating Christian cloister, though St. Anthony's predates it, and also the smallest bishopric within the world. St. Catherine's relics, whose body was purportedly frenzied by angels, square measure keep in a very marble container within the Basilica.

The cloister is additionally a formidable fortification, with granite walls forty to two hundred feet high, enclosed by gardens and cypresses. before approx. In the 20 th century, the sole entrance to the cloister was a tiny low door thirty feet up, wherever provisions and other people were raised with a system of pulleys, and wherever food was usually down to nomads. it's withstood various attacks over its fourteen hundred year existence and has protected an upscale choice of art.

While it's one in every of the oldest monasteries within the world, its original, preserved state is unmatched. tho' established and patronized most of its history by the Orthodox Church, it's currently beneath the auspices of the Greek Orthodox Church. Most of its monks are of Greek origin.

THE TEMPLE OF EL-KHADEM - SINAI PENINSULA - EGYPT

The temple of El-Khadem is one in every of the foremost fascinating and vital archaeologic sites of the Sinai. you'll access it via the simple route from Abu Zenima or by the harder route requiring a four-wheel drive growing the gully Mukkatab. gully Mukkatab suggests that "Valley of the inscriptions" as a result of many Byzantine and Nabatean graffiti etched on its walls. gully Mukkatab starts within the 'southern a part of gully Fairan.

The temple is high on a tableland 850 meters up, with a mighty rocky bulwark at the top. you'll reach it by following the steep path up the incline. during this space there square measure giant copper and turquoise mines that were strip-mined intensively throughout the swayer age.

The mines square measure focused in a very circular space of approx one.2 kilometers to the southwest of the temple. a number of their tunnels and galleries have visible inscriptions principally qualitative analysis back to the center Kingdom (2056-1750B.C). The temple was engineered seemingly by semi-nomadic Semites throughout the IX family (1955-1750 BC) - these Semites worked within the nerdy mines.

At the time of the XII family, the temple consisted of a stone chapel dedicated to Hathor, "Lady of Turquoise". Then alternative rooms were else that were dedicated to the God Sopdu, "Lord of Foreign Lands". New extension work was undertaken throughout the XVII family (1550-1292 BC) once the long series of rooms were engineered that gave the temple of Serabit el-Khadem its current look. The last 2 westernmost rooms, were else throughout the Ramesside time. The last king mentioned within the temple may be a Pharaoh of Egypt of the XX family (1295-1188B.C) (Ramse) VI.

No comments